The official cocktail of New Orleans, the flavorful Sazerac has been around since the mid to late 1800s. Spicy rye whiskey has replaced the original main ingredient, which was cognac.
• 2 ounces rye
• 1/2 oz absinthe
• 3 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• A splash of water
• Garnish: Lemon twist
1) Mix sugar, Peychaud's bitters,and a splash of water in a shaker tin or mixing glass.
2) Add rye, fill with ice and stir.
3) Rinse a chilled Old Fashioned glass with absinthe, then discard the absinthe.
4) Strain into the glass , and garnish with a lemon twist.